In accordance with our NJDEP Municipal Stormwater obligations, the Township has adopted various Ordinances to regulate the impact of stormwater runoff and pollutants on the environment. As part of our Local Public Education Program, the purpose of this letter is to highlight the requirements and environmental benefits of these Ordinances.
- Litter: This Ordinance states that it is unlawful to throw, drop, discard, or otherwise place litter of any nature upon any public or private property, other than in a litter receptacle. The purpose of the Ordinance is to prevent unsightly and unsanitary conditions and prevent litter from impacting waterways.
- Illegal dumping: It is unlawful for any person to discard or dump any household or commercial solid waste, rubbish, refuse, junk, vehicle or vehicle parts, rubber tires, appliances, furniture, or private property in any place not specifically designated for The purpose of the Ordinance is to prevent unsightly and unsanitary conditions and prevent litter from impacting waterways.
- Inoperable vehicles: It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or permit the keeping 011 private property, except in a fully enclosed structure, any motor vehicle which does not display a current, valid state license. One purpose of this ordinance is to prevent groundwater pollution due to leakage of oil, fluid, or gasoline .
- Littering in waters: No person shall throw or deposit litter in any pond, lake, stream, bay or any other body of water in a park or elsewhere within the Township. The purpose of this Ordinance is to prevent litter from impacting waterways and unsightly conditions.
- Pet Waste: This Ordinance requires pet owners to pick up and properly dispose of pet waste dropped on public or other people’s property. It prevents fecal contamination from impacting the local waterways.
The transport of pollutants into local water bodies can result in the destruction of fish, wildlife, and habitats; threats to public health and the loss of recreational and aesthetic value.
Mannington Township has enacted the above Ordinances to protect our environment, and to keep pollutants that are commonly conveyed by stomwater from adversely impacting our waterways and groundwater supplies. These Ordinances can be found the Code of Mannington Township,